Saturday, February 22, 2014

[GET] Minecraft Blueprint

From: The Desk of a pro Minecrafter Dear future Minecraft pro, You and I both know this… Minecraft is a sinkhole of time! If you have no idea what you’re doing, you’ll be blindly wasting your time just to realize your perfect design and take forever! Have you even seen what others are capable of creating? Where do they find the time to gather all those materials, survive a hail of enemies at night and create such amazing structures in Minecraft? Right now, as you’re reading this, the realization of the vastness of the game is probably sinking in. By now, you’ve probably realized that such a huge project will definitely take weeks, if not months just to complete on your own. You think that starting any project will impede on your social life or job. You think crafting anything will take too much time so you never start one. You think you’ll get to it someday. Someday never comes when nothing changes! You’ll probably commit to thinking that you’ll get there eventually if you just take your time and work on your project you’ll finish it sometime in the far future. But I’ve got news for you…


Trust me… I’ve wasting hours sitting on a boat floating around the map wandering around to gather the diamonds needed to craft an Enchantment Table. It’ll work, but it will take forever in human years. I’ve been there and I know that much. What if I told you that you can spend minimal time searching for the materials you need, finding exactly what you’re looking for when you need it, and will double or even triple the amount of progress you go through in the same amount of time it would usually take?


I’m about to tell you the story which changed the way I’ve viewed Minecraft forever… I started of Minecraft as a simple person. I knew what it was about, and I had my very own game plan when I first spawned on the beaches of the world I generated. I learned everything the hard way, tapping left click repeatedly to punch trees down, when I was supposed to be holding down the left click instead. That sort of thing… And it was fun for awhile ya’know. I had all the freedom to create anything I wanted. So I started building a home for my lil’ avatar. I wanted him to be welcome in this new world that was provided to him. I went big. I wanted my first home to be something epic. So I decided to build myself…. A Hotel. I wanted to make it about 10 floors or so, with the top floor being a wide open space for a suite. As real as possible as far as cheap hotels go. I didn’t know better at the time, so I went with whatever I had available, and that was wood. I could upgrade it later when I had more time, so I went about my way building the ground floor to live in at night and collecting wood in the day to build my dream hotel. Everything was made from scratch by the way. Furnishings and such like tables and chairs were all made and placed in every room, three per level of the hotel which was about 27 or so. I’ll put in paintings and such later to make each room look awesome. About a week into it, real time, not game time, I decided to spruce up the ground floor, having a reception table, a lounge for myself to hang out in. Yeah, impractical but I wanted to make it a Hotel I could live in right? And here’s where everything turned for the worst. I had the bright idea to build a fireplace because I wanted more light in the night and torches just didn’t cut it. I went out and got some stone up to 3 layers thick and I thought that would be fine. Nope. I heard a crackling sound coming from the fireplace and assumed that was normal, realistic even. The crackling sound was from the wood from the floors above. “Oh, no problem, I’ll just head up the stairs and put it out”. That didn’t work out. The fire spread so quickly, so absurdly fast that I couldn’t do anything. We were talking about 10 floors of fire spreading on the outside of the wall and there was just no way I could go out there to punch the fires out. Worst. Day. Ever. Everything I built from the day I started Minecraft. Gone. If you’ve lost something you’ve worked hard on creating, you can probably tell how I felt at the time. I didn’t know how materials reacted, and I paid the price. It was terrible. And I know for a fact that there really wasn’t much I could have done to avoid it. Truly not a fair price to pay for the tiny lesson of “Wood burns in Minecraft” isn’t it?


I’ve come a long way since then and I know more than I did then. I realized then that Minecraft was greater than many games I’d played before. I knew that there were repercussions to mistakes made and fell in love immediately. But I knew I wasn’t going to be able to take repeated blows like that. To have my creations just razed to the ground by a small fire (initially at least). This was two years ago when I first started out. I’ve come a long way since then and have gotten several more of my friends to try it out and gotten them to start. But I know that my journey isn’t done. There are more people out there who’ve gone through the same mistakes, and either they’ve given up…



Minecraft Blueprint

No comments:

Post a Comment