Monday, January 27, 2014

[GET] Reality TV 101 w Schatar Sapphira-The arts, crafts, and reality of unscripted television... - Reality TV 101

I was an unemployed graduate in the midst of a recession.  An aspiring actress and performer, I had hopes and dreams of being on TV but at that time I lived in Maryland, all the way across the country from Hollywood. I had no clear instructions of how to get “from here to there” but I had a burning desire and a passion to break into the television industry.  I spent months researching the television business and developed a plan. I took it step-by-step before diving in all the way.


I worked any temp job I could to make money, I saved some cash and went to Los Angeles determined to make my dream a reality.  I knew it would not be easy but I had no idea that it would be even more even challenging than my research led me to believe.


That’s when I faced my first ruthless reality: Every day thousands of other people arrive in LA with dreams of being on TV… just like me!


I was determined to work harder and smarter than everyone else. I submitted myself for auditions. I attended conferences and workshops. I studied with teacher after teacher. I tried all of the techniques that I read about in books but something interesting was happing, the industry was changing…


Although the technology was changing all around me, I was still encountering many of the same Hollywood scams, hustles, and cons that have existed for years. People seeking to rob and cheat you. Others trying to seduce you, offering illicit business and sexual propositions (from men and women) including some famous stars that you see on TV every day!


I learned there is a fine line between putting yourself out there and getting turned out by show business. For example, some casting notices say to come in a bikini and be prepared to disrobe at the audition…while they are taping you. Or, maybe the casting notice didn’t say anything about nudity until you get there and they suddenly ask you how you feel about doing a nude scene…or would you be willing to take off your clothes at the audition. Sometimes, they may offer to bump up your salary if you do. In a moment of desperation or a because of a hungry stomach, some may have taken the deal.


Doing a sex tape is not a strategy that will make you rich and famous. Think of all of the people who have done it. It’s an old, overused technique that doesn’t always work. This is a new day and age.


I want to share a story about another girl I knew who came to LA with TV dreams — hmm, let’s call her Mandy. She was beautiful, had done a couple of pageants, and her looks had gotten her pretty far in her hometown in Alabama but she wanted more. Her dreams brought her to Hollywood. She figured her looks would help her there too. As soon as she arrived, she started looked for casting calls and she found a small role in a big film.


The audition notice said it required nudity but it was a big movie and it promised a big paycheck. Mandy was hopeful, with the promise of cash in hand and the chance to turn her small role into a bigger role. She got booked. She felt like she finally had her chance!


She went to the shoot. All went well. She was completely professional, the crew was professional, and her nude scene went fine. As production was wrapping for the day, she and the producer started talking. The producer offered wine celebration and the sparks started flying. One thing led to another and in a vulnerable state, she ended up having sex with the producer in the trailer with the hopes that he would give her a lead role.


I know some people may be shocked to hear these sorts of things but I’m sharing this to protect and educate other young men and women, people of all ages and from all walks of life by advising them of the pitfalls and predators that can be lurking on any film, in any casting office, or on any set. I’m not focusing on gossip or interested in the behind the scenes drama. I’m interested in the business of this TV game and how to win at it.


I met some veteran entertainers in Hollywood.  Many did not want to share any Hollywood secrets. Their attitude was “One day, the new arrivals might be competing with me for roles.”  I would later find out how right they were. Fortunately, there were some who did share information and it is their example which made all the difference.


So, I became determined to help others who were working hard like me and who were trying to help themselves.  That is what this program is about. We will get to that. First, I will tell you what happened next.


I finally got a call to audition for a reality TV show and at first, I didn’t even want to go. I was so skeptical after all of the things I’d seen. I thought it was going to be just another shady production with shady people. Plus, I wasn’t even considering doing a reality TV show. My goal at the time was focused only on breaking into TV through sitcoms or dramas.


First, I did my due diligence and looked up the production company before going to the audition so I would have some idea of whom I might see there and so I would know what to expect. I also researched some of their other shows and the cast members so I could go into my audition in a character that they were accustomed to working with on set.


Armed with this information, I knew to go in as my most colorful, smiling self. I wore a…



Reality TV 101 w Schatar Sapphira-The arts, crafts, and reality of unscripted television... - Reality TV 101

No comments:

Post a Comment